Re: Moving to Europe with TR4A?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Moving to Europe with TR4A?
From: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:54:58 +0100
Date sent:              Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:30:34 -0500
To:                     triumphs@autox.team.net
From:                   Cliff Hansen <hansenc@flash.net>
Subject:                Moving to Europe with TR4A?
Send reply to:          Cliff Hansen <hansenc@flash.net>

Guys (and Teri Ann),

Just when I have broken my car so completely that it will take
months to fix, I've got an opportunity to move to the Netherlands
for a three year contract job.  Assuming that I can put off reporting
until next summer (school kids, etc.) I can probably get the car
back running.

Now, I won't even ask if its practical to consider taking the car
with us, since I own the blasted thing, ergo, I have no common
sense.  Anyone know what hoops are necessary to get a US
registered antique car legal to drive in Europe?

Thanks for the help.

Cliff Hansen
hansenc@flash.net
1966 TR-4A CTC 64615L

Hello Cliff,
Very nice to hear, and hope to see you when you are over here.
There is a very active TR club in the Netherlands have a look at
their webside: www.trch.nl  .The club counts around 1500 members
including me with about 2500 TRs  from 2 to 8. A short count  in
the member list says 400 TR4s more than 3/4 imported from USA.
I do not think that you can drive around in Holland over a longer
period of time with an US registration. In most European countries
this is limited to 6 month. Depending how attached you are to your
car you can import it to the Netherlands and sell it with profit after 3
years.Registration is very easy and you will have to pay no road
taxes and insurance is very cheap for classic cars.Your car will be
subject to a technical inspection at registration and then once a
year, here good tyres and brake lines are important, you will have
to replace the sealed beams and stamp the commission nr in the
chassis on a easy visible place ,letters have to be about 1/2 high.
For any problem you may encounter TR club members in the
vicinity will be helpfull. Depending on your location in the States the
only adverse factor could be the weather. Except from Ireland the
grass is nowhere greener, the country is a paradise for cows, and
there are plenty of them.
Jean (living with on foot in the Netherlands)