Fuel pump leaks, oil line fix

To: "'sweisman@gis.net'" <sweisman@gis.net>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel pump leaks, oil line fix
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 13:17:17 -0400 charset="windows-1257"
Hi Sumner,

I'm on the digest, so a bit slow. I agree with Terri Ann, most leaks are at
the fuel bowl glass to metal top seal.  I've had the diaprahms go, but 95%
of the time on the TR4 and in the E-Type (just a glass bowl in the trunk)-
the leaks are at the seal. BTW the original  well  metal topped filter as
well as a paper topped filter are sold under the same part #.).

When I finished up my restoration, I added two gallons of gas (gravity feed)
and tried to start her up. No sucess. With starter fluid- instant fire-
traced problem to the pump., Glass bowl was filled, but yet pump was not
working. I used an electric pump to check the flow, first by attempting to
suck it from the tank (no joy), then reverseing. I head bubbles in the tank,
so we added two more gallons.
I share this because Terri again is right on- electric pumps like to push,
not suck.

After adding more gas, and getting the  lines to the carbs primed (the lever
for some reason wouldn't prime the line-clearing the air)
All was fine, expect for the oil leak.

Oil line leak- I had a thin line of oil by the fuel pump- thought it was the
block seal, as it was a trace down the block ending up in a 3-4 drip puddle
whenever I turned the car off. I pulled the pump and resealed the gasket to
the block with Aviation gasket cement. Seemed to work. However,

I discovered after our first long trip, to the Britain on the Green show in
April 30,  that the leak was actually at the pipe fitting. So much oil was
leaking,  and smoking off the exhaust, that the oil presure, over the course
of just 45 min, went from 75 to 40. The less oil, the hotter it ran, the
thinner it got cycle.I was on I-95 and no place to really stop and get to
the show on time.  I just added some more oil. Later I found the problem at
the metal pipe connection and the tube above. (Hard to trace source of clean
oil on a clean engine)/

I replaced the new ( one of the major 3 supplier) tubing line with a tubing
line bought at Home Depot for Refrigerator Ice lines.  Its thicker walled,
yet more flexible.$3 and plenty of line left over. (I'll send you if you
like) I used two new mini-hose clamps on the  barbs; the one at the metal
pipe connection above  the fuel pump line clip, and the fittings at the

 No leaks since. No pump problems since. The TR strats instantly when the
choke is fully engaged everytime- I love it!!!

Sherman

Sherman D. Taffel
Columbia MD
TR4 CT40054L