Shabby Chrome - thanks! (longish)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shabby Chrome - thanks! (longish)
From: "Frank Boothroyd" <fboothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:33:46 -0230charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi.  Thank-you to all who have taken the time to respond to my plight.
Perhaps before explaining what I'm going to do, a little background is
necessary.

I feel in love with Triumphs back in '79 when as a Grade 11 student, I
scrapped up enough money to buy a rusty GT6.  It was beautiful in my eyes,
despite the rust and despite the fact the PO had painted part of the hood
with a brush.  Yep, a brush.  Alas, I had to sell the GT6 the next year so I
could go to college.

Now advance twenty years - I am now a college instructor (biology - NOT
automotive).  While on vacation last month I saw the TR6.  That did it.  I
wanted, nay NEEDED, that car.  So now it's mine and I'm having a wonderful,
albeit expensive, mid-life crisis (you might think 38 is too young for a
mid-life crisis but I smoke so it's about on time I figure).  The body is
currently in a shop being restored and I've got the interior scattered about
my house.  The interior and some exterior - including the shabby chrome boot
rack.

I needed to make up my mind quickly about what to do with the rack.  It is
the type that has four bolts going through the boot.  If I choose to leave
it off I had to quickly tell the body shop guy to fiberglass over the four
holes in the boot.  I really wanted the rack to stay, however, because its
symmetry pleases my eye.  IMHO, it makes the rear of the car look stumpier
which makes the front of the car look longer and, to me, that's perfect.

BUT - remember the GT6?  The bit on the hood done with the paint brush?  I
didn't want to repeat that performance.  I've never worked with chrome.  And
I didn't know whether painting over chrome was something that was NEVER
done.  One never paints a car with a paint brush, yes - but does one ever
spray over chrome?  Or does it always look, well... stupid?

So I'm spray painting it silver.  Couldn't find the hammerlite Jeff McNeal
suggested; could have opted for flat black I suppose and called it a "custom
PA Dutch wrought iron rack" as TexasTR4 advised, but I'm scared my
neighbours would think it's a barbeque grill and try roasting a moose on it.

So silver it will be.  And if you all laugh and point fingers, I will laugh
with you and point to my car's interior.  Then we'll all have a REAL laugh!
Cheers,
Frank
('73 TR6 avec silver boot rack)