RE: Shabby chrome query

To: twakeman@cruzers.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Shabby chrome query
From: Day.John@fin.gc.ca
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:37:49 -0400
I think TeriAnn's first comment is the most true - it's your car. If you can
be content with the look of it - be it in original condition, painted, or in
gleaming new chrome - it's your own call. Also, depending on what you are
going to be doing with the car (daily commuter, weekends, shows, concours),
that can somewhat dictate your choice.

As an odd example, Fred Thomas kindly offered to refurbish the old rusty
ashtray from my parts car 3A, including sourcing the new face plate and
powder-coating the tray. It needed the face plate, but I thought I would
just use black rust paint and buy the replacement face plate from Fred's
source he recently mentioned to the List. I changed my mind and let Fred go
ahead, as I wanted to see how DIY powder-coating would look. Now my ashtray
is the best part of my whole darn car!! (Thanks again, Fred!). I'm hoping
this hasn't sent me down the road to a body-off, full-scale restoration, but
time will tell. After all, if the ashtray can look that good, just imagine
the whole front suspension! Maybe I'll look in the pennysaver for an old
kitchen stove for the garage :-)! Cheers, JD