Re: cast iron vs. Stainless expansion rate

To: Roy <techman@metrolink.net>
Subject: Re: cast iron vs. Stainless expansion rate
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 19:10:56 -0700
Cc: triumphs-digest@autox.team.net

Roy wrote:

> >a response on this subject by another lister erroneously implied thermal
> expansion rates are tied to metal thickness>

I assume you are referring to my response.  I did not mean to imply that
expansion is tied strictly to metal thickness, only to point
out that stainless headers are much thinner than your typical cast iron one and
it is logical to assume that the rate of heat
penetration for the cast iron unit of much thicker dimensions would be slower
than stainless steel of say .060 thickness.

Once the cast iron is heated all the way through then the properties of the two
metals could be compared.  I just think that it is not
easy to do an adequate comparison without taking into account the thicknes of
the metals.

Joe (C)