Re: Lucas fuses

Subject: Re: Lucas fuses
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:00:57 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Mark :

The definition of an Ampere has remained the same, however, the method
of rating fuses is/was somewhat different in different parts of the
world.

The original Lucas fuses were rated in terms of maximum fault current.
IOW, a Lucas 50 amp fuse is supposed to blow if you run 50 amps through
it, but may or may not blow if you only run 49 amps through it.

The US standard (which I believe is now used in most parts of the world)
rates a fuse in terms of minimum carry current.  IOW, a 25 amp fuse is
supposed to carry 25 amps, but may or may not blow if you run 26 amps
through it.  (Obviously, I'm simplifying here.  Fuse manufacturers will
share with you all kinds of data on their fuses, including complete
characterization curves, if you ask.)

I found a nice substitution chart on the jag-lover's site :

           Simon S. Johnson sends the following data: "...the source: a
1974
           edition of "Buss Fuse Car and Truck List" which has on the
back cover a
           section call "Foreign Car Fuse Replacement Data," -- foreign
to the US,
           that is. It states that "English standards differ from US
standards.
           This accounts for difference in ampere ratings." Then it
provides a
           list:

                English Type    Buss Replacement
                50 amp          AGC 30