Re: 48 Spoke wire wheels (was Re: center-lock alloy wheels?)

Subject: Re: 48 Spoke wire wheels (was Re: center-lock alloy wheels?)
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:45:47 -0500
Cc: <ArthurK101@aol.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Cc: ArthurK101@aol.com <ArthurK101@aol.com>; pethier@isd.net
<pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 5:49 PM

>Phil:
>
>> Phil, just a note.  You realize that only the early TR4's had the 48
spoke,
>> 4" wire wheels (same as the TR3)?  These wheels are not really adequate
for
>> the increased weight of the TR4.  Somtime in 1962 the 60 spoke, 4 1/2"
wheels
>> became the standard option.
>>
>> My references say to be careful with the 48 spoke wheels ("only for show
or
>> gentle motoring").  If you ever get new ones, I'd recommend going wth the
60
>> spoke wheels.
>
>Right, I may have mentioned this to you, Phil. According to the heritage
>certificate, my early TR4 (CT5018LO) came with 48 spoke wheels, but
>they were long ago upgraded. Art, mine appear to be 72 spoke wheels --
>would that be possible? I lost count over 60 somewhere.

72 would be standard for a TR6, I think.  They are going to be

>Phil, if you track down some nice vintage or new center-lock minilites
>but decide you must have a fair set of 70-odd spoke wires, we could
>certainly trade even-up. <g>

As if!  <g>

New chrome-and-stainless 72s go for about the same money as alloys, I think.
I'd go for the alloys.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban, 1962 Triumph TR4
"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster" - 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a
bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.