RE: Pole Barn question

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, <MJSUKEY@cs.com>
Subject: RE: Pole Barn question
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:28:58 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
When I was doing decks some moons ago, we would use sonotubes down to 4 ft
and fill with concrete.  If there was water there, as Joe stated make the
mix handle the water.  Then we would cap off the concrete with a bracket
that would take the pole.  I was always told you never put a pole directly
in contact with concrete or below grade cause it will always rot over time,
even the pressure treated ones.  Besides with the bracket if the pole needs
replacing in the future then it is really easy.  For added stength in the
sonotube you can add a couple of rebars.

My current deck had someone put the pole in the concrete directly and now
water has got in around it and cracked the concrete causing the pole to rot.
I have now seen the "bury the pole method" and fully believe the
concrete/bracket is best method for northern areas.  This to be repaired on
the restoration of the deck.

Hope this helps a little

Regards

        David A. Templeton
        Open Text Corp.
        Waterloo, ON
        Canada
        WebSite: http://trandmustang.homestead.com
Hope to have new barn/shed/garage/workshop next summer.
'74 Triumph SpitSix '66 Ford Mustang (Wife's)'66 Ford Mustang GT  '59
Triumph TR3a (Project) '99 GMC Safari '95 GMC K2500 Sierra