Re: 3a sleeves: to bore, or not to bore?

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>, <wallaces@superaje.com>
Subject: Re: 3a sleeves: to bore, or not to bore?
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 06:42:38 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael D. Porter <mporter@zianet.com>

> Others may correct me, but boring the sleeves 0.010" oversize will
> probably not affect the strength of the sleeves in any measurable way.

Several of us in the midwest are successfully vintage racing TR4's with 86mm
liners bored out to 87mm. Cost was about $100 for the 4. One of these
engines has dozens of races on it over several seasons, with no signs of
distress from the liners. A good machine shop can do this with no problems
if the donor sleeves are in good shape. Bring the pistons to the machine
shop along with the liners so that the proper measurements can be made.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U with A type o/d since 1983
TR4 VSDCA Group 2 #58 (Look for me near the back of the pack)
Highland Park, IL