Battery shelf restoration Project-Time estimates

To: "'Rich Scotti'" <Rich@Scotti.com>
Subject: Battery shelf restoration Project-Time estimates
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 13:00:00 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Rich

I worked on the TR a couple evenings a week, It was in my friends aircraft
(business) hanger at an airport 35 miles N. of work, but 60 miles from home.
I usually worked a 'full day 8-12 hrs.' on the weekends. We thought this
would be a 6-9 mo. project. Took 3 years at the above schedule.

The Battery shelf was a MAJOR project. Cutting out the shelf- 45 mins.
Making new shelf 2 hrs.
Fitting new shelf 1 hr. Welding shelf and making curved areas for steering
wheel, welding, grinding, first Bondo a full day equivalent. Final bondo and
sanding- a full day. This is the kind of project that you do a little, do
something ele (drying time) and come back to it.
Not 'rocket science'(other than the BONDO), but a persistent committment!

The irony is with the new Moss Battery tray (Which I did have to modify)- an
observer,  as the English expression) 'Doesn't have a Clue'  as to how much
work went into this area of the firewall.  At the time no shelf parts were
available from anyone I could find.

If you do rebuild, make sure the battery hold downs are 13" apart, or get
the Battery tray and fit the brackets on the sides. Even though I welded
mine back in the 'same position they were'- they ended up 3/8" too close.

Sherman