DHL etc

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: DHL etc
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:22:26 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Michael Porter wrote:

>Rimmer Bros. ought to be made aware that this additional unspecified charge
>for customs
>fees collection is raising some hackles in the U.S.

Then they should certainly be told but Rimmers surely cannot be held
accountable in
principle for supplementary charges that might apply on importation in any
market. If the
website is felt to be incomplete and lacking information, then I agree it
should draw
greater attention to this fact. Freight fowarders and international couriers
usually apply
a flat rate charge to clear cargos through customs and these duties with
associated extra
charges are paid by the customer not the shipper. However, if companies other
than DHL
levy lower charges or find some way of hiding them which the recipient finds
more
acceptable, then specify on the order that this carrier and only this carrier
should be
used. If Rimmers can't/won't meet that requirement, make it clear the order is
immediately
voided on those grounds. There are plenty of other places to buy a cabbage and
if Rimmers
or any other supplier really do want your business, it's up to them to make it
as easy as
poss for you to buy. End of story.

Jonmac