Re:Unknown frightening noise

To: sassamon@mediaone.net, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Unknown frightening noise
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 23:08:55 -0400
Greetings Roger and list members,
  I've been following this thread closely while pulling out my motor the
last few days. My TR6  had the same symptoms you have described. Strange
noise that I thought could have been the timing chain slapping the
cover, worn gudgeon pin bushing, or worn rod bearing. It only started
making the noise after warm-up and increased as the oil pressure
dropped. The pressure started at 75 psi and ended up about 25-30 psi
when warm. I had 20/50 in it at the time and it has 72,000 on the motor.
I just pulled off the oil pan and found the rod bearing trashed on the #
4 connecting rod. Although my inexperience in engine rebuilding leaves
me still guessing as to whether the crank will have to be pulled, I have
a strong suspicion it will. I can feel the rough surface with my finger
around the journal.A friend and local lbc guru is coming by this weekend
to help me out. Roger, I sincerely hope you have a better ending to your
situation, and will offer the following advice. I was told to put in
heavier oil and do a rebuild in the winter, when I planned on installing
the O/D tranny. I never got to put in the heavy oil, as the noise got so
bad after only 10 or so more miles of driving that I thought I would be
coming home on the back of a truck.. If I had checked the bearings
first, The crank would probably be fine.....so, proceed with caution,
and I wish you good luck.
Kevin
CF55588U & O sooner than I thought