TR3 Front Suspension Rebuild - An Update

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, technical@iwnet.screaming.net, kinderlehrer@mindspring.com, OHFASTONE@aol.com, erik@midwestfilter.com
Subject: TR3 Front Suspension Rebuild - An Update
From: KMNTR6@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:24:56 EDT
Well folks

Rebuilding a TR3's front suspension is not a 2 or 3 hour job. When taking the
suspention apart I found that NO cotter pins were used in the castle nuts,
the shock, ball joint, and trunnion were dead. The brake rotor is in good
condition as are the brake pads, so no need for replacement or repair. Every
nut I encountered was loose, which made disassembly a breeze. I have removed,
cleaned, painted all of the parts that I will reuse.  I am now at the point
where I can start putting parts back on. I have the TRF rebuild kit. I
started by bolting the ball joint together incorrectly and immediately
stripped off the castle bolt that came with the part. I had to take it to a
machine shop to assemble. With the help of a fellow club member, we pressed
in the sleeves in the lower A arms, bought a can of grease, so I guess I am
ready to assemble. Wish me luck.

Later
Ken Nachman
Richmond Triumph Register