Re: 2 paks - Blue carpet

To: SJagGo@aol.com, spitlist@gte.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2 paks - Blue carpet
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:20:30 EDT
In a message dated 8/18/00 10:01:20 PM EST, S Jag Go writes about his
Spitfire:

> Finally, my questions: I could spray lacquer (been there, done that), but I'
> d like to use the hardier isocyanate 2 packs.  Are any points deducted in
> concours for 2 pack paints?

I have never seen any points deducted for particular type of paint.

>  My primary Mk 1 was originally Wedgewood Blue with Midnite Blue/White
> interior which will be my restoration colors.  I also have NOS white
> sunvisors, and a white NOS Triumph Tonneau.  I am seriously considering
> Wedgewood Blue carpets with white trim.  The 63's had only mottled black
> carpet as an accessory and the original rubber coverings are virtually
> nonexistent (I have seen one NOS RH front floor mat).  Would using the Blue/
> white carpet be grounds for a deduction?

My guess would be yes, but a very minor deduction; maybe 1-2 points maximum.
Otherwise, there would be no way to compare against that totally original and
correct -- down to the original mottled carpet and/or rubber mat floor
covering --  early Spitfire that might be in the class. Now SHAG carpeting
would be another story... :-)

>  I have an aluminum fan that will be much easier on the water pump as well
as
> much more attractive that the painted steel fan.  Would use of the aluminum
> fan be cause for a deduction?

Here I would say probably not, inasmuch as there were several fans available
for the Spitfire and Herald 1147cc motors, and I don't know that anyone can
inarguably document exactly what fan was always used on what cars for what
markets. To me, if it is a correct fan for that era of Spitfire/Herald
engine, it would be acceptable to me. In other words, so long as it isn't a
plastic fan and/or on a viscous coupling, or a radiator-mounted electric fan,
I'd allow it without penalty.

That's the way I would judge your car and all other cars in your class. And
that is the one big advantage of our judging system, where cars are judged
against the score sheet and against certain standards, not against each other.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register