TR6 Brakes

To: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Subject: TR6 Brakes
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:15:29 -0400
Cc: 6 Pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>, TR6 List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Jim Davis
>       I've finally got my "restored" '75 TR6 back on the road after a two
year engine rebuild and I've driven about 200 miles. Today, after a 25
mile drive I noticed that occasionaly the brake pedal will sink quite
low without much stopping power when the brakes are applied but will
become firm after a pump or two. The problem is becomming progressively
worse. There is no leak at the master cylinder, which remains full of
DOT 5 silicone fluid and there are no leaks at the front calipers or
rear wheel cylinders. The m/c was replaced with a new one at the
original restoration in 1994.
<

Jim,

Double check the wheel bearings.  If they are set too loose the rotor can
wobble back and forth and push the caliper pistons into the calipers
leaving you with a lot of pedal travel just to put them back into proper
position.

Dave