Re: Wireing TR3 from scratch or not ?

To: "Pat" <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>, "TRlist" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wireing TR3 from scratch or not ?
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 00 07:32:47 -0700
I would say the answer is depends.

If you are a wiring clutz, or neophyte use an aftermarket premade
harness.  You just lay it in place and connect the right colours to the
right connectors per the wiring manual in the OWNERS MANUAL.

If you are good as soldering and wiring I recommend building your own
harness using Lucas coloured wires and connectors.

Copper and labour are the expensive parts of a commercial harness.  I
have noticed that the commercial harnesses use the smallest diameter wire
that they can.  Many of the wires in my replacment harness have a smaller
diameter than the original harness.  I have just had a local harness melt
down from a bad wiper motor.  THe old harness might of survived it.

If I wish to go to a higher wattage headlamp I will need to replace the
headlamp wires with ones the size of the original wires as a minimum.

THe advantage of a do it yourself harness is that you can "build in"
wiring for such things as  headlamp & horn relays, an electric fan,
alternator conversion, driving/fog lamps, radio and add larger diameter
wires to the rear for higher wattage tail lamps.

THe disadvantage is the harness wraping.  It wil be VERY dificult to come
up with a harness covering that looks stock.
SO I think the answer is "It sepends"

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
webmaster@overlander.net      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html