Re: spax adjustables ON tr3

To: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@home.com>
Subject: Re: spax adjustables ON tr3
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 00 17:26:50 -0700
Cc: " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

Dave thanks for the lesson.  I read them just after I came backk in the
hose from adjusting them.  Looks like I may have to loosen them down a
bit now.  sigh

>TeriAnn:
>
>The Spax are the easy ones  to adjust.  If they are yellow and more recent
>than 1990 or so, they are a "12 point adjustable" type.  The following
>instructions will set this type up correctly;  I had a set fitted to my 65
>TR4a (same spec).
>
>1.  Near the base of the shock there is an adjustment knob.  It looks like a
>small dowel sticking out of the body and is distinguished by a screwdriver
>slot (...for adjustment).  Find this.  It "should" be accessible with a
>long, thin screwdriver, or a flexible type unit.
>
>2.  Rotate clockwise until stop.  Each "click" will be felt as an in-out
>"bump".  You are now at full stiff position.  If you have done this on the
>ground you will now find the front end almost impossible to bounce!
>
>3.  Click back 15 turns (there is no soft lock, the screw just keeps
>rotating).  You are now guaranteed to be at dead soft.  Depending on who you
>believe, these units are either 12 or 14 way adjustable.  Count the number
>of clicks until you hit bottom to determine which ones you actually have.
>
>4.  You should always cycle from full to hard to full soft before resetting
>your shocks.  (before you change the existing setting,  please turn
>clockwise and count the clicks to establish your baseline setting now).
>
>A normal street setting with standard or mildly uprated springs is about
>4-6.
>
>Aggressive driving will increase the front settings.  You should not need
>more than 8  on the street unless you have oversize tires (bigger tires
>weigh more and overpower the shocks easily).
>
>The stiffer the shock setting, the more harsh the ride will be.  More
>damping means that more of the small road irregularities will transmit
>through the suspension, but on smooth roads the bonus will be sharper
>turn-in characteristics.
>
>If you find that you are bottoming the car, change the springs, not the
>shocks (at least not yet).  The springs should be stiff enough that, in
>normal condition, the car will only just bottom on the largest bump you will
>hit.
>
>>From there, sway bars, front and rear, minimise weight transfer due to body
>roll, the chief cause of poor cornering traction.  The TR3 did not come
>equipped with front or rear bars.  Handling is personally subjective.
>
>Finally, turn in and power out characteristics come from the shock setting.
>They must be set stiff enough to control the spring, but not so stiff as to
>restrict its movement ( too stiff on a rough road will "lock up" the shock
>in compressed mode and cause that end of the car to wash out).
>

>There.  The book is over.  I hope this information helps you, and the list.
>And list... this is intended to be a simple summary of the basics as I lave
>learned through competition.  I'd be interested in hearing others'
>experiences (perhaps off line?)
>
>Dave Terrick
> [...]

TeriAnn
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.