Re: 'Goop'

To: <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: 'Goop'
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 23:23:39 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Michael

Try epoxy resin putty. The version I've used frequently in the past that's
suitable for
use on metals and hard plastics comes as a lightish grey stick in a clear
plastic tube in
which the inner and outer cores, when kneaded together create a chemical
reaction and gets
quite warm in the process. Make sure you mix it in such a way there are no
'streaks' of
putty and hardener before applying. Don't mix any more than one inch of stick
at any time.
You have to work quite fast as once mixed, the 'goop' starts to cure very
quickly. Used a
dollop of it recently to repair an annular oil feed made of very ancient mazak
(monkey
metal) on a stationary agricultural engine of 1929 vintage. Very high tack and
after
curing (an hour or more is best) it can be filed, drilled and tapped.  I've
used it in the
past with self-tappers and it's good kit. Strongly recommend you keep it away
from
blankets or white trousers!

Jonmac