Re: Gymkhana VS Autocross

To: randallyoung@earthlink.net, owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gymkhana VS Autocross
From: OHFASTONE@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:42:28 EDT
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net

Ok, I'm familiar with Solo-II, I take it that all three are similar with
varying degrees of differences i.e. Solo-II two cars at a time racing on
mirror courses driving against the clock and each other while driving through
obstacles and autocross is one car at a time against the clock on a coures,
which makes both a gymkhana.  HaveI understood this correctly?

        Michael

<I believe (not certain) that gymkhana refers to any contest primarily of
skill, while an autocross is a very tight road course (usually defined
with cones on an expanse of concrete), run one at a time.  The VTR
funkhana would be an example of a gymkhana (well, maybe except the
"change the water pump" and "toss the piston rings" portions <g>).  An
autocross is a gymkhana, but a gymkhana isn't necessarily an autocross.

There is more info on the Sports Car Club of America's autocross (which
they call Solo-II) at
http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/index.html>