The Road From Portland (Day3)

To: TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, TR8 List <TR8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: The Road From Portland (Day3)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:14:43 -0400
Before leaving Vancouver we had to walk across the suspension bridge at
Capilano.  At least I did.  Linda got further than we thought but walking
on a bridge that is bouncing and swaying 450 feet above the Capilano river
below was too much for her.

Then it was off east and toward home (via Calgary).  The Trans-Canada
highway follows the Fraiser River.  The terrain is flat.  But out in the
mist one can barely makeout mountains.  Until Chilliwack where the
mountains become quite evident.  And east of Chilliwack we start up into
the mountains.  Then it is the reverse of Oregon (we are headed in the
opposite direction) and the flora slowly changes from rain forest to
sagebrush and the weather changes to cool and moist to bloddy hot again.

The mountains here are much more dramatic than those on the route we took
coming out.  More jagged and steeper.  And even though it is hot there is
evidence that the ski industry here is quite active in the winter months.

Okanagan Lake is a long, narrow lake remenicent of the lochs in Scotland
except for the fact that the sorrounding hillsides are populated with sage
brush instead of heavy pine timber.  And it is a bit hotter.  It is quite a
popular lake with motor boats and skiers all up and down the lake.

We hit Kelowna at rush hour and in the congestion we pass a Spitfire.  A
bright blue one of late 70's vintage.  even though it is well into the 90's
(30's in celcius) the engine temp is well under control with both fans
pumping.  The TR8 has a low nose and the ram effect is less evident than it
is with earlier models such as the TR6 where any movement at all produced
enough air flow to keep the car cool.  The TR8 doesn't generate enough
airflow until you hit about 45 MPH).

As we press on towards Revelstoke and Monashe Mountains, and as the day
grows old and teh shadows long the temperature starts to fall and with it
the engine temperature, too.  Whislt driving through one of the many passes
we turn a bend and there, at the end of a 2 mile lake is a large,
impressive lodge with a red roof with many, many dormers.  Quite
picturesque.  Designed to lure in tourists of which we are so we stop there
for the night.  This place is huge with well over 100 rooms, three
resaurants, fire station and ghost town.  Inspite of its size, however, the
rock bluffs behind it dwarf it by contrast.  And the mountain streem at the
base of the bluffs finish off the scene as we settle in for the night.

Dave Massey
Three Valley Gap, BC, Canada