Too Much Wheel Play, TR6

Subject: Too Much Wheel Play, TR6
From: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 07:05:55 -0400
Hope all had a great weekend.

I had my '70 TR6 up on stands this weekend giving it a total "go-over"
in preparation for the drive to and during TRF's Summer Party. While
completing my check list of items, I noticed that the right front
wheel had noticeable play when I grabbed it top to bottom as well
as right and left, and shook. My left front has no noticeable play.

Figuring I needed to re-adjust the hex nut on the hub, I removed the
wheel, hub cap etc.  When I reinstalled the hex nut and tightened to
5lbs ft and then "turned back" one flat, the hole was on one of the
flats. If I adjust it so as to loosen the nut to get the hole open
and reinstall the wheel, I still have the play.  If I adjust the
nut so as to tighten allowing the pin to go through the hole, the
wheel won't turn without force because it's binding on the
caliper. When the wheel does spin freely, it still rubs on the
pads once every rotation, but just slightly.

Any thoughts or ideas. I am not concerned about the safety since
the 6 is running and handling well and my guess is that it has been
running like this for a while. I do want to correct the problem since
it will take its toll on the tire/hub over time.

TIA

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6