TR6- running lean

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6- running lean
From: Sandy Levine <slevine@toucan.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 19:58:13 -0700
my 70 TR6 is running lean and I can't get it to idle smoothly. I just did a
total rebuild of the engine and have a petronix ignition. After it warms up
and I can release the choke the engine surges between 500 RPM and 1,000 RPM.
The cycle between 500RPM and 1,000RPM is equal - about 10 to 15 seconds at
500 then it speeds up to 1,000 for 10 to 15 seconds and back to 500. As the
car warms up the cycle stays on 1,000 RPM twice as long as at 500RPM. I have
rebuilt the carbs with new gaskets, and new by-pass valves. I have replaced
the metering needle and adjustments have no effect.  Does anyone have any
ideas?

--
Sandy Levine
70 TR6 - almost there