J-type overdrive sticking, and speedo cable question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: J-type overdrive sticking, and speedo cable question
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 09:33:47 -0400
My overdrive conversion seems to be going pretty well.  Thanks to several
listers for answers regarding flywheel bolts and clutch shaft bushes.  So
far the most frustrating part was moving the gearbox mount to the rearmost
mounting holes in the frame.

I've got everything bolted up now, and went for a test drive.  No leaks,
and all gears seem to work, EXCEPT, overdrive is engaged all the time.  I
haven't even hooked up the electrical connections to the solenoid, so I
assume something is stuck or jammed. I did momentarily apply voltage to the
solenoid with the car stopped, and it did go "click", so I assume it's not
the problem.

>From those who've "been there, done that" what should my next course of
action be?  I know that engaging reverse gear with the OD stuck like this
is an absolute no-no.  Is there an easy way to discern whether this is a
stuck valve versus a stuck one-way clutch?  I assume the stuck cone clutch
is the more likely, since it started right out with OD engaged, before
pressure would have built up to engage it.

I also have a question about the speedometer cable.  The standard cable
does reach, and can even be attached without the right-angle gear I'm
missing.  However, it passes right over the exhaust pipes.  Right now, I
have it wired to the transmission with baling wire to keep it away from the
pipes, but I assume there's a more elegant solution.  How is the
speedometer cable routed in cars with factory o/d?  I don't see anything in
the manual about this.

Thanks again for all the valuable input.  If I learn anything on my own,
I'll share it with the list.

Ted Stevens
stevens@erols.com
74 TR6 with OD transplant