Re: compressor recommendations, anyone?

Subject: Re: compressor recommendations, anyone?
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:04:26 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Douglas :

Stay away from Campbell Hausfeld, or almost anything sold by the
discount houses.

Pay no attention to the horsepower ratings, they are meaningless.
Instead, look at cfm at 90 psi.  For most air tools, you are going to
want at least 4-5 cfm at 90 psi.  Sand blasters are even higher.  And,
be sure the rating is real cfm, not standard cfm.  The standard cfm (or
scfm) rating at 90 psi is about 7 times the real cfm, so you would need
28 scfm @ 90 psi to run a 4 cfm air tool.  Note that the 90 psi part is
also important, since even the scfm rating drops with pressure.

Of course, a big tank will let you run a tool that needs more air than
the compressor can deliver, but only for a few seconds at a time.  And
it's most aggravating to have to stop and wait for the air pressure to
build back up.  An impact wrench is usually no problem, since you only
use it a few seconds at a time anyway, but things like die grinders and
sanders are a real pain on a too-small compressor.

Look for a shut-off pressure that is at least 120 psi, and a two-stage
piston-type compressor (not all 2 cyl compressors are 2 stage).  IMO the
'oilless' compressors are also useless for running tools.

Unless you get into HVLP, almost any compressor capable of running tools
will handle a paint gun, no problem.  The main things you will need to
add for painting are a filter/dryer, a pressure regulator, and a new air
hose.

Randall