Re: Smoking tr-4 (cont.)

To: jordan hess von kluck <kluckvon@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: Smoking tr-4 (cont.)
From: "steven@cravetechnology.com" <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:58:12 -0600
>  One last thing - has anyone fit the 3.5" tall K&N filters to a
> TR-4 with the stock SU setup and a long bulge hood? I wondered if they
> would fit and or whether I would have to get the carbs retuned to deal
> with increased air flow - the car still has the original wire mesh filters
> on it.

Was out of town, very late response. Anyway, AFA larger filter, my early
short hood bulge TR4 has big K&N style filters, presumably installed by
a long ago owner -- maybe the second, who had it from the mid-60s to
the mid-90s. Anyway, he hammered a 4" around section of the wheel
well (!!!) to accomodate them. They still tend to rattle on the fender
though the outer cover is drilled off-center to help. They also rubbed paint
off the bonnet, but no metal distortion luckily. I close the bonnet with care.

Overall, I doubt anyone would do that to a TR4 in this millenium. But
for reference, the diameter is about 6.5" across, and the thickness
of the filters about 2". So a pretty big filter can fit in there if you just
swing a hammer a bit. <g>

--
Steven Newell
Crave Technology, Inc.