Diff Autopsy FYI Pt 1 LONG

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Diff Autopsy FYI Pt 1 LONG
From: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 07:13:04 -0700 (PDT)
Okay troops, you saw my pleas for a diff...

I've extracted the one from my parts car (finally) and
will have it professionally rebuilt now that I don't
have the Mid Ohio dealine. In an effort to provide
information to the list that other might learn, I
offer the following...

The story of my GT6+'s diff failure and autopsy...

Driving along a country road about 60mph, minding my
own business, constant speed, straight line, I heard a
bong/clunk noise as if something hit hard against the
exhaust. I gingerly slowed stopped, inspected, and saw
no visible damage, or evidence of the cause of the
noise. Got back in, drove on with my ears perked up:
no apparent symptoms of the noise.

30 miles out, I turn toward home. Again, but a little
more solid, not so hollow a clunk, followed by
grinding: scrape, scape, scrape. Slows with road
speed, no evidence of relation to engine or gearbox.
Sounds like the inner wheel scraping against a
suspension bolt. I can feel it a little as well as
hear it. Seems to ease up when at constant speed, but
under even gentle accel or decel, grinding gets worse.

Figuring it's broke anyway, I creep along at 10-15 mph
hoping to get home before the wife & kids worry.
Nearer andd nearer to home, I gradually speed up, and
the grinding gradually goes away. Byt the time I'm on
the home stretch, I'm goming 60, with no evidence of
anything having happened.

The next afternoon, I put the car on stands, inspect
u-joints, rear wheel bearings, rear brakes... looking
for any evidence of the noise. Only thing I suspect is
the right rear brake, where the shoe appears to have
been shaved by something... instead of just dust,
sitting atop the wheel cylinder is a pile of what
looks like fine, black spaghetti... a lister suggested
it was the remains of a critter of some sort.

Anyway, I attribute the noise to an anomoly in the
brake, even though applying and releasing the brake
really had no affect on the noise when it was there.

I drive the car to work the next day, only to hear the
ominous clunk/scrape again...

Part "deux" coming soon!

John Donohoe
'70 GT6+ KC 81718
(can't drive it, may as well write about it!)

http://mail.yahoo.com/