List Procedure (Etiquette?)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: List Procedure (Etiquette?)
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:27:17 -0500
Cosmo Kramer's post this morning (a summary of the responses he received
off-list regarding his gearbox popping out of gear) reminded me of something
I've been meaning to bring up for some time. Guess this is as good a time as
any.

When questions are posed to the list, I often find that, while I may not
need to know the answer today, I will quite possibly need it tomorrow. While
list-wide posts are accessible on the ListQuest web site
(http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=triumphs), responses sent
off-list, directly to the individual, are forever lost to the rest of us
(unless all of us are as conscientious as Cosmo and post a summary).

Maybe it's just my opinion, but it seems to me that legitimate responses
should be sent to the List, not just to the individual who asked the
question in the first place. If we know the answer, we should share it with
everyone - not just for the present, but for future searches in the archives
or for those of us who save posts that we think may be of interest in the
future. If we don't KNOW the answer, but are just offering possibilities or
"have you tried this...?" replies, we should put that out there as well.

On the other hand, there are times when we should consider no response at
all...you know who you are (myself included)! If you don't know, don't tell.
:^)

Just food for thought...
__

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O!
You can't fix it if you don't break it first!