Transmission woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission woes
From: dncullig@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:43:06 -0400
Folks -
      First off, I'd like to thank Ed, Donald, Graham, Kevin, Jack ,
Brian, Michael, James, Tony  and everybody else who gave me
input on my transmission problem (TR6 jumping out of 3rd gear).
We took the tranny out this AM (between my brother-in-law and
myself, we've done it so many times, we had it out (interior and all)
in just over 1 hour) and took it over to the shop where it was rebuilt.
After taking it apart, the cause was obvious (as everybody had
said it would be) - the 3rd gear bushing (which should be steel
but is bronze in my transmission) self destructed, which took the
washer with it and cracked the circlip, making for lots of play
which allowed the tranny to slip out of gear.
         New parts are on the way and it will probably be back on
the road by Wednesday.

Dennis Culligan / 1976 TR6 CF57948U(O) - TR6IUMPH / Highland,NY /
                          DNCULLIG@US.IBM.COM
See www.britsofthehudson.org for info about our car club