Re: TR3 distributor question - loose cam?

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 distributor question - loose cam?
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 08:03:51 -0700
Dave Willner wrote:

> I gave my TR3 a lite tune up yesterday, cap, points, condensor, rotor, etc.
> and while adjusting the points it seems the cam on the distributor developed
> some play and I couldn't recall if this is normal not, seems to me it's not.
> I can freely turn the cam about 45 degrees either way till it stops.

The rotor/cam should move some for the mechanical advance (controlled by 2
weights) but 45° is way too much.... don't have the actual spec at hand but
seems like it should be about 10° movement of the cam (effect on timing much
greater).

Since all looked well under the base plate you might want to pull the
distributor to see where the slop is occurring.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
Tucson, AZ