74 TR6 Backfire through the carbs problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 74 TR6 Backfire through the carbs problem
From: "Bromiel, James E (Jim)" <bromiel@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:56:25 -0500
Listers

I need help solving my 74 TR6's backfiring through the carb problem .  I've
had the car
since Nov.  I've rebuilt the carbs and added Pentronics Ingnitor electronic
ignition.
I've also replaced a leaking vacuum line.  The EGR valve is off and plugged
by previous
owner.  The one vacuum line goes from the distributor to the bottom of the
back carb., all
other vacuum lines are capped. The timing is set at 4 degrees ATDC at idle.
 I notice the backfire under acceleration / lower RRM or when
cruising at a constant speed.. Under heavier acceleration /higher RPM I
don't notice any
backfire. My first thought was I need to lean out the mixture. I did that by
turning the mixture
adjustment tool clockwise, hence lowering the needle into the carb body,
letting less
gas through. Is this correct?

Is there a way to know if my carbs have the correct mixture needles?

Should I check my valve clearances?

Jim Bromiel
74 TR6
bromiel@lucent.com