Re: Key in crank (removal)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Key in crank (removal)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 07:44:08 -0700
There is a easier way to remove these keys.  If you can fit a wire cutter
(commonly called dikes, short for diagonal cutters) length wise on the key,
right next to the shaft and apply slight pressure to the key (as if you
were trying to cut it in half lengthwise), you can then lever the key out
fairly easily - The idea is to "grip" the key with the jaws of the cutter,
and use the dikes as a lever with the very end of the cutter levering
against the shaft while lifting with the handle.  If done correctly it does
very little damage to the key (which should probably be replaced anyway)
and the shaft
>It's just a press fit, although it can be rather tough to get out. It's
>semicircular on the backside. Easiest is to put a flathead screwdriver
>blade under the leading edge and try to lift it out. You can also try
>tapping on the trailing edge with a light hammer & punch to see if the
>front edge will lift up. I've done both.

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)