RE: Spin - on oil filter adapters

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spin - on oil filter adapters
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:16:48 -0700
Bill :

Just to be clear on the subject, the only valve needed in the spin-on is an
"anti-drainback" (which I believe the PH3600 has).  The original filter
head has a bypass valve that remains functional, at least in the Purolator
head (I've never seen a Tecalemit).  Absence of the anti-drainback will not
prevent the buildup of oil pressure, just let it take a little longer as
the filter head and galleries have to be refilled.  I've tried both, and on
my car it's tough to tell the difference.

The coarse thread is for Purolator filter heads, the fine thread for
Tecalemit heads (which I believe were found only on some TR4/As).  Neither
adapter will fit a pre-TS12650E filter head.

I've used a Moss adapter for many years with fair success.  However, I
understand the design has changed, as mine has a large nut in the middle
that is used to tighten the adapter to the head.  The newer ones apparently
have the nut cast into the stud.

Randall
59 TR3A - with TS110xxE engine block