RE: type of grease to use on Aluminium

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: type of grease to use on Aluminium
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:27:19 -0700
Sujit :

I believe what you've seen is anti-seize compound, which is typically
composed of either copper or nickel particles suspended in a grease base.
 I use it on anything that gets hot (exhaust bolts/studs especially) or
tends to corrode, and on spark plugs no matter what kind of head.

IMO brand is not important.  I've been using the same can of Fel-Pro
"On-n-Off" (which is copper based)for many years, but I don't think it is
still available.  I believe any copper or nickel based anti-seize will work
fine.  You should be able to find it at your local auto parts store.

At high temps, the grease boils off, leaving only the metal behind.  ISTR
the copper is rated 750F, the nickel is rated 1100F.  There are other
materials around, with different temp ratings, but copper is the most
common for automotive use.

Randall