TR4 O/D op. valve ball size

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 O/D op. valve ball size
From: Nyberg Peter <Peter.Nyberg@lio.se>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 22:37:55 +0200
Hi list,
May 23, 1998 I bought a ' 62 TR4 which hadn't been on the road since ' 74.
The DPO had finnished step 1 in a total body off resto. i.e. body and
everything else detachable removed. There was plenty of rust, seized
engine (work of the elements) and lots of missing parts (!?!). Some of the
parts that came with the car came from other cars. I had only seen
TR4's on pictures so I didn't know what to look for.
Anyway, May 23, 2000 the car passed the gov. imposed inspection with flying
colors. CO was 0.3 you're allowed 5.5 on a +30 year old car. Except for
sand-
blasting chassis & tub and fixing the frozen calipers, I've done everything
myself.
It's definately not a concours winner - it's my first restoration and on a
limited
budget. And have I learnt some !
Now the reason I address the list - I can't get the O/D to work. When
reversing there's
a grinding noise in the box and when going forward the rev counter (and
engine) rev
quicker than the wheels (no, no clutch slip - it's transmission slip). The
solenoid is OK,
I've tried several lift heights on the operating valve and yes, there's oil
under pressure
when loosening the plug. However I measured the diameter of the valve (the
rod that
lifts the ball) and the diameter of the ball - they are both 1/4 ". The
illustration in
the workshop manual shows a ball seat and a ball that seems to be bigger
than the seat.
Anybody know the correct size of the ball?
At the moment the valve, ball, plunger and spring is removed and that
grinding noise
when in reverse is gone. The rev counter, engine speed and car speed is
syncronized.
Sorry about this long message. If I ever come back I keep the next one
shorter.
Cheers,
Peter Nyberg
Linkoping, Sweden