Re: Participation

To: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: Participation
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 14:19:50 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Peter
I have talked with many people who
> don't want to take their cars to an event because they are sure they will
be
> ridiculed, and that is sad because they usually never are!  It's great to
> see cars in any condition at events, the fun is in participating and if
> someone does put down an owner of a daily driver or beater, they are the
> ones that should be chastised.

How true, it is a sad reflection on the state of the world that people are
made to feel ashamed of their possesions because they don't measure up to
someone else's standards. To those of you with less than perfect cars, it is
you we need to see so we can give you encouragement and advice!

> It used to be that the fun of owning a sports car was meeting other sports
> cars on the road.  You'd look up ahead and see a TR or  MG or Fiat or
> whatever and you'd speed up a little and they'd slow down a little.  You'd
> wave at each other, maybe play along through the traffic  for a little
> while.  There was a sense of camaraderie that is missing these days.

I drive around in my cars, they are all daily's though don't look too bad
for unrestored cars, I have found two things, I have been able to make the
day for someone by giving them a wave, the smaller saloons seem to get a
real uplift by the friendly gesture from a large saloon! On the other hand
it saddens me that the Stag owners among others seem to always ignore my
presence, are they rude or just have never owned any other Triumph so don't
recognise them, or are they ashamed to wave at a car type they may have
owned before they could afford a Stag!
Bring your old car out and enjoy it and don't forget to keep half an eye out
for other cars and wave first, let them see your not ashamed! You may even
shame some of the ignorers into a response if you see them a couple of
times!

Graham.
2500PI MKII
Sprinted Dolomite