Re: suspicious dealings on ebay

Subject: Re: suspicious dealings on ebay
From: Bob Simmons <bsimmons@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 10:58:27 -0500
Barry,
there is an investigation going on right now regarding ebay by the justice
department.  It regards basically what I had previously mentioned.  lets create
a scenario you may be able to understand.
I see something I want on EBAY.  I bid on that item.
a friend of the person selling puts a bid in slightly higher than mine.
I want the item, so I bid again, slightly higher than the friend.
The item now has an artificially inflated price.
This may go back and forth several times, until either the sale fails, or an
artificially inflated price is paid.  This is against the law.  (It is actually
against the law to bid on your own item.  Having acquantances do it is the same
thing).
In previous attempts to get a manual, the price I topped at was around $35
dollars.  The price always went higher (this must be true as I have previously
bid on a few of these, and do not own one yet).
On the latest bid, I start at $25 dollars.  (Should I start at $50?  That
wouldn't make sense, would it).  Yes, it is supposed to work it's way up, as it
tradionally does.  Well, it does not, and in fact, no other bids are made on
the product.  This occuring at the same time of an investigation.  Why do all
the previous books sell for so much more, and now this one does not even make
it to my initial bid?
When a person monitors the activities of ebay, and sees that these things are
selling for $50, dollar signs light up in their eyes.  Thus, a high reserve is
placed on the item, that may not be met.
I am not calling anyone a crook, so don't jump to conclusions.  Obviously there
are people on this board that may have sold their old manuals.  What I am
trying to do is explain how a scam works, and how we can be duped into paying
more.  Would I like to pay $25 for the manual?  Yes.  Would I pay more?  Yes.
And, yes, I have a limit I would pay, to answer your question.  Now, even when
I am the highest bidder, I am not getting the book, due to a high reserve.
Talk about confounding!
thanks