Re: TR-3 Miscellany

To: Bill Brewer <bbrewer@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: TR-3 Miscellany
From: Jim Bauder <jimbpps@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 14:25:57 -0700
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bill,

1. I re-did my switch, probably for the same reasons that you want to redo
yours. I first cleaned the electrical contacts with WD-40, as a lube and
cleaner, then disassembled it and stripped off all of the old paint, I paid
particular attention to cleaning the letters out. After sanding it with 400,
then 800 grit paper, I repainted the switch with gloss back spray paint ( I had
to strip it and respray it several times, as I am not an accomplished spray
painter). Then I flowed white model airplane paint into the letters and wiped
the excess off with my finger. The paint I used was Tamiya Acrylic, which is
water soluble when wet. The results were dramatic! It looks and works like brand
new.

2. Not much help here. I installed the nylon carpet kit from Moss. This was on
sale a while back for $255 or so. Very impressive and I am very pleased. Looks
very close to the original wool cut pile. Only time will tell how it holds up.
Installation was easy (A snap!! Ha. Ha.). However, I didn't install any
insulation, but I might try it later on. I'm not sure a transmission oil cooler
would be of any help. The reason that they use them with automatics is the fluid
is what actually does the motive work so to speak, while the oil on the standard
transmission just keeps the bearings and gear mating surfaces from wearing out.

3. No help here, mine worked perfectly before I disassembled it for painting and
works perfectly now!

4. My Control Head was broken, so I ordered one from TRF and installed it. I
also had to order a new stainless steel stator tube from Really Healey as the
wires never did come out of the original one. My Control Head works
perfectly....except, it won't self cancel either!!!! Please, let me know if you
learn how to fix this.

Good luck and as always, YMMV and NFI.

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3