Will not fire

To: Scions of Lucas <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Will not fire
From: karen hakala & tim hutchisen <hakhutch@megalink.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 21:31:56 -0500
Scions of Stanpart-
    I have recently finished a rebuild on my '71 TR6. For the past two
nights I have tried to bring it to life but have had no luck. I have
verified (3 times) that the static timing is spot on with the cam
(original cam, reground to S2 configuration). With the #1 cylinder at
TDC the #11 and #12 lifters are "on the rock" with #1 firing at the
dizzy. Valve lash has been set cold at .012 ( specs say .010 and TSI
Auto says .016 hot). I have spark at the plugs, fuel in the cylinder,
and the electronic ignition tests fine. The car ran this spring prior to
the rebuild. I set the timing statically at 12 degrees BTDC and cranked
the motor. An occasional cough or backfire from the carbs could be
heard. From the advice of another lister I have tried advancing the
timing 2 degrees at a time, but have had no improvement. I advanced all
the way to 2 degrees ATDC but chickened out and retarded from there. I
have grown tired of this nightly ritual and would like to move the
project forward, but I am a bit perplexed on this one.
    With all the chatter on the timing issue (as of late) I read every
post knowing it would be my turn next. I am quite confident of my work
but have obviously missed something here as there has been no fire in
the motor yet. Any thoughts from those who have BTDT?Any advice would be
appreciated, thanks in advance to all who respond.
Tim Hutchisen
'71 TR6 shiny engine bay, shiny motor, corner full of beer cans,
raw head from scratching, worn out Bentley