RE: business ethics

To: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, "Gary Tash" <tashg@bmi.net>
Subject: RE: business ethics
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 20:28:11 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Fred, et al.:

As a "buyer" for my company, I can say the 1 & 3 are very common in the
business to business world.  I don't see anything unethical about them.

#1 is called "Expediting" or "rush" and sometimes come in various tiers.
25-30 days normal, $25.00 for 5-10 days, 10% for 3 days.  See them ALL the
time.  Not so much a charge for "doing the work" faster, but to push the
paperwork around faster.  If you got time to wait, take the standard
shipping terms and save a few bucks, if you are in a big hurry, pay a fee to
expedite the order.

#3 are fees to handle paperwork, pay the person to put it back on the shelf,
and handle "fraud" when some switches parts in the box or sends back a
broken part and says it just was returned.

I imagine #2 is to discourage fraud as well, but don't know for sure.  He
may be tired of getting taken advantage of.  Even big consumer chains like
Wal-Mart does this (or mails you a check) if you don't have a receipt for
large ticket items you are trying to return.

DON'T assume a business is unethical because they have these terms, they are
also probably living by those same term from their suppliers!!

Bill Miller