TR4 engine done, owner sleeping on couch

Subject: TR4 engine done, owner sleeping on couch
From: "steven@cravetechnology.com" <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 15:11:50 -0600
I finished the new engine on Saturday after a week-long rebuilding
marathon. By "I" I mean "Joe the mechanic and his assistant" with me
hanging about ocassionally. Just in time for the RMTC show in Golden,
CO, on Sunday, 30 miles on the engine when I got there. Enjoyed meeting
several list members as well as a couple club members I'd talked to
during my car search. Thanks to each of you who helped with advice
during the search, retrieval, and rehab.

Anyway, I'd certainly recommend Hamilton Motorsports from Houston (Joe
was formerly from the Denver area), great job with only a couple
hitches. With 200 miles so far, it's running strong but a little rich so
I hope to need no more than a quick tune to pass emissions. The car
sounds good, no longer like rocks rattling in coffee cans.

In the end, The Budget ran to, um, more than I paid for the car in
February -- but surprisingly, my wife didn't actually move me to the
couch. Instead, she called the sitter to schedule a driving date for
Saturday evening. <g> With the 3 and 1.5 y.o.'s, she and I haven't been
out in the car together yet, and she's really excited to take Smokey out
for a ride -- now that it's not smoky.

The budget went well over my expectations because everything that could
be broken or worn out... was. If I recall correctly, 5 of 8 compression
rings broken, 1 of 4 oil control rings, all bearings badly worn, only
one bent valve, keys worn.... Anyone looking at an engine rebuild,
without the inclination or time to do it him/herself, feel free to write
me for The Whole Story.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO