Shows: Triumphs and Jaguars/Owners

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shows: Triumphs and Jaguars/Owners
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:47:10 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Terrific TR Family

Now boys -enough of this noise. (You have noticed the gals are not in this
getting sour thread) The TR was not my first LBC, which was a Bug-Eye
created in High School from Junk Yard components. "SON- I wish you had a
father that could aford to buy you a car too!)  My second was an MGA I kept
alive in Okinawa in 67-68. Upon return from SEASIA, I bought the TR. In the
early 70's I had a 4.2 Jag (yup 3 SU's). I learned then that everything on a
Jag takes longer and costs more.

Now we have four Jags, plus the Tr, plus the Jensen GT. I participate with
the National Capital Jaguars Owners Club as well as with the Capital Triumph
Register. I am not the only aficianado who is active with both groups.

In every Marque there are six types:
1) one who appreciates, has little technical knowldege, appreciates those
who do, and does for him/her.
2) one who enjoys the driving of, but not the maintenance of
3) one who spends more time in maintenance than driving (Fixing for the
Soul), and
4) one who enjoys the restoration process, more than the 'show'.
5) one who has the motorcar formost for,  and lives for 'the show', 'the
museum piece' , not primarily 'go' carts
6) one who wants a dependable driver, kept a close to 'show' standards as
feasible.

The big difference in the clubs is more of the Jag group are retired, and
seem to rely on professional shops more than do it yourself. For many its a
question of time 'how much time'. it takes.  The technical sophistication of
the DOHC I-6 Jags, the V-12 engines, and the Lotus DOHC 907 all were
technical and learning challenges to me thirty years ago. There are times in
life you want simplicity, there are times you want refinement. Whatever our
individual priorities -which may vary from vehicle to vehicle

The important thing is  that we respect and help each other in our quests
for
'the elusive perfection'.

Sherman D. Taffel
Columbia, Maryland

TR4 CT40054L- (Three year Frame up restoration completed)
Jensen GT (rolling restoration) #30485
'72 Jaguar Ser III E-Type V-12 FHC (the Benchmark)
'76 Jaguar XJ12C ''Ms Elegant' (The wife's) ( I fix-drive with permission)
'89 Jaguar XJS Convertible ( The Ride) This winter replaced Cooling
Hoses,Aux Air Valve, Seat Heaters,
Power Steering hoses, Rebuild A/C Blowers
All this  takes time and patience)
'96 Jaguar XJR (The Machine) Dealing with Dealers and Factory Warranty
issues take time too!