Re: O/D changes speedo?

To: <dncullig@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: O/D changes speedo?
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 21:25:19 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Dennis
The o/d speedo may well have been different, it may be possible to get the
ratio right by changing the pinion on the speedo output, you will need to
count the teeth on the non o/d both the spiral on the output shaft and the
pinion and then look at the o/d, J types generally have either a 5 or 6
stamped on them near the speedo pinion, this refers to the number of starts
on the spiral then do the maths to work out what teeth you need on the
pinion to get the correct ratio! Although the o/d is designed to engage
under full load, (and you may find it feels smoother if you do that) you can
ease the situation by making a half push of the clutch pedal, this would be
purely for your benefit unless the rest of the drive line is in poor shape
in which case it would reduce the tendency for the backlash in the system to
bang.

Graham.