MIG butt welding

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: MIG butt welding
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 17:16:17 -0400
What's the trick? I've become fairly proficient at welding sheet metal (20
gauge) when one layer is on top of another, but last night when I went to
try butt welding I was poking holes all over the place. I had ground down
to nice clean metal, put a new tip in the welder, lots of gas left...
So what are you supposed to do - fast wire feed + move along fast, slower
feed and move along slower.....?
This is really bugging me (I guess I could classify it as a pain in the butt).
Thanks,
Jim  Wallace
BTW I'm using 0.023" wire.
TR content: this is body work on a TR3a.