TR6 Leg Room

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Leg Room
From: Tim Hickey <tjhickey@gatecity.com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 21:44:42 -0500
I wrote this in response to one question. Then I thought I would just post
it for everyone.

Tim Hickey

I assume that you want to move them forward. I am 6' 4", and have a 73 TR6.
Here is what I have done:
I removed the seat and then removed the seat adjuster slide assembly. I
then made two small brackets (from 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8 Al) to support the
front of the seat. Then I bolted the brackets to the floor pan. This will
gain you about one inch in height.  Of course you move the seat as far to
the rear as the wheel arch will let you. Set the angle of the seat to make
you happy, and then move it all the way back.
Now, the big job. It is possible to move the stearing wheel out towards the
driver about one  to one and one half inch. You have to loosen the outer
stearing tube, and then loosen the inner clamp inside the engine
compartment. I then had to remove about 3/4 of an inch from the inner
stearing tube with a air powered cutting wheel. You end up making the slot
where the clamp holds the inner shaft and tube together longer. Also, I had
to remove the key switch, file and grind some off of it so it offers
clearence to the support yoke, and then you can move the stearing tube and
wheel out. This will give you more knee room. Without doing both of the
things above, the first being the quickest, I would have lots of trouble
driving the car. Now I do pretty well.

Good luck