Re: TR3 stalling

To: tombotts@home.com
Subject: Re: TR3 stalling
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 13:44:47 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Tom
This sounds a lot like debris in the fuel tank. Probably not "vapor lock".
Next time it happens, try getting out and rocking the car sideways as
vigorously as you can. Often that will shake up the clogging agent(s) to the
point where you can start the car and get home.
Only cure is to remove and flush out the tank. Not uncommon in 40+ year old
cars, to say nothing of owners.  ;-)

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4
69 TR6

<< OK, I've put off posting this question for 2 weeks, thinking that the
 problem could be caused by so many things, that an internet diagnosis
 would be asking too much. However, I' really stumped.
 Late last fall the TR3 began to misfire and stall after driving for at
 least 1/2 hour. The stalling starts out as a few misses, with the engine
 then returning to its normal great condition, this often progresses
 until I'm going nowhere but to the phone for the tow truck. I
 progressively replaced the fuel pump, the coil, the ignition wires, the
 low tension lead, the condenser, checked all electrical connections I
 can think of. Seems to occur more often and more drastically on a hill
 (whatever that is worth).
 My suspicion now is vapour lock. Since I have never been plagued with
 that particular ailment on any car before, I need to hear what the exact
 causes of this are, and if the symptoms fit.
 Thanks,
 Tom Bottman
 TR3A
 TR6 >>