TR6 Cam questions-really need help

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Cam questions-really need help
From: Keith Ehrlich <kehrlich@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 22:45:42 -0400
Hey gang-

I am trying to determine if I have a stock cam in my car. Someone's been
in the engine before. Engine is still in the car.

I removed the rockers and measured lift at the push rod with a dial
indicator. I am getting .278-.280 lift at that measuring point. First,
is that the right way to measure and secondly if so is this a stock or
non-stock cam? If this is the wrong way to measure, what would have been
correct and can I interpolate what I've done so far and how? Do I
measure duration with a dial indicator and degree wheel somehow?

Lobe number two is lifting at the push rod .252 and number 3 is lifitng
at .265. I recall reading somewhere that more than.015 variance is a
problem and calls for a reweld or cam replacement. Is it Ok to go
through the season in that condition and is there anything that can be
done to compensate, like another size push rod or something?

Finally, are any of the lobes at absolute maximum lift when cylinder 1
is at TDC? I need to put this mess back together again and thought that
a dial indicator on a lobe matching cyl #1 TDC would be a way to align
the crank and cam. Valve #9 looks like a good suspect to the eyeball.

TIA

Keith Ehrlich
74 TR6