RE: starting a new 6 engine

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: starting a new 6 engine
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:03:33 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Graham :

I'll echo other's opinions : there's something wrong with your ignition
timing.  However, either you're turning the engine backwards, or your timing
isn't exactly 180 degrees out.  #1 intake should close as #1 gets to Bottom
Dead Center (BDC), not Top Dead Center (TDC).

Normal timing has #6 exhaust just closing, #6 intake just opening, #1
firing, crank at TDC.  Both #1 valves should have been closed for 1/2
revolution or more (compression stroke), and stay closed for 1/2 revolution
or more (power stroke).

If #6 doesn't get to the "balance point" (exhaust closing, intake opening)
with the #1 (and #6) piston at TDC, then your cam timing has also been set
wrong, and you will have to pull the timing cover to fix it.

Randall

http://www.hotmail.com