RE: Leaky SU carbs

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Leaky SU carbs
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:32:25 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Rob :

Actually, the black smoke probably has everything to do with the leaking,
since it sounds like your leak is from the jet seals, and the upper jet seal
leaks into the carb throat ...

Do you have the cupped washers against each o-ring/seal ?  Was it the
springs between the two cupped washers that you replaced ?  Is the outer
portion of the jet absolutely smooth and shiny (should be no visible marks
or burrs at all) ?  Did you check the surfaces that the o-rings/seals seat
against inside the jet housing ?  (I've taken apart H6 carbs where the DPO
had apparently put in new seals without removing the old ones.)  Do you have
the large clamp nut tightened firmly ?

It is definitely possible to achieve the "almost always dry" version, my H6
jets have been "on the wagon" for over a year now (although the float bowl
seals go on occasional binges <g>).

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver (except when it rains, like today <g>)