Gear ratios

To: jim williams <sportsix63@yahoo.com>
Subject: Gear ratios
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 01:05:35 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <Triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by jim williams
>What determines whether a 1974 Spitfire has a ratio of
3:63 or 3:89? Is it over drive? I'm looking at a parts
car 1974 model no over drive. I want the 3:63. How can
I tell?

=====
<

Jack up one of the rear wheels and rotate it twice while counting the
number of times the drive shaft turns.  (Mark the drive shaft for
convenience)  If the driveshaft turns 3.89 turns it is a 3.89:1.  If it
turns 3.63 turns it is a 3.63:1.

Please not that you have to turn the wheel twice because the other wheel is
not turning.  If you lift both wheels off of the ground turn them both once
(and without limited slip they will have a mind of their own).

For improved accuracy turn the one wheel 20 times and you will get either
36.3 or 38.9 turns of the drive shaft.

Dave