Re: Advice on proper way to start car

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Advice on proper way to start car
From: DRSkruffy@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:54:09 EDT
In a message dated 4/13/00 4:18:58 PM !!!First Boot!!!, thecrowes@hotmail.com
writes:

<< I'm no expert, but have been through this a couple of times.

 My suggestion is to change the oil and filter, remove valve cover and pour
 oil over everything, a little more oil down the plug holes if needed (not
 too much here) then turn the engine over without plugs by hand to make sure
 it is free.  Then turn it with the starter until the oil pressure comes up
 (no spark or fuel.)  Careful if there has been too much oil down the plugs -
 with plugs in you could break something (too high compression.)

 You might want to check out the fuel system (drain and flush with fresh
 gas), replace any fuel filters, oil and grease things as needed and change
 the gunk in the radiator.

 When ready to fire it up, crank the oil pressure up (not too long on the
 starter though), add fuel and spark and see if it runs.
    Just my thoughts
     Frank
       '59 TR3A
       '71 BMW 2002
       '51 Internation Cub tractor

Interesting. I have a 2002 BMW motor that was rebuilt, balanced almost 15
years ago, then driven a couple thousand miles and parked inside. Hasn't been
started since.

I agree with what was said, but I have heard a couple people say to fill the
cylinders with penetrating oil a few days before changing the oil and letting
it soak to remove any surface rust.

It nade sense, but, assuming it DID remove surface rust, where did it GO?